Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Coming to a new land

I was at school when I started thinking in coming to United States might be a wise idea. I wanted to be with my parents who have been living for almost 7 years. I was confused because I didn't want to leave my place where I was born. But the idea of having my parents, the idea of visiting new places was the most exciting thing in my life. I wanted to learned English just as other people, this was complicated because I have been having some trouble in the English class. I remember that I used to have really bad grades because I did n 't know a numerable words to be able to write a simple sentence on my paper. I always had this class after lunch. I was just hoping that the lunch never end up. Because I was afraid with the only reason on thinking about those assignments that they were really killing me. It was impossible to me do that. I had to ask for help and sometime I copied part of the homework from my friends. But still, I couldn't pass this class.

The English teacher wasn't very friendly to ask for help. Sometimes she was nice, sometimes she used to make jokes from somebody. But others times, she was just a pain, because she angry for reasons that we did not know. I think she was having some trouble with his life. It is funny. It comes to my mine, when we were waiting for the teacher outside of the classroom. It was a little bit after lunch. Somebody, thought it was pretty smart of him to put some toothpicks on the door's lock. When the teacher came from her lunch. She tried to open the door. But this was impossible because the lock has something in it. But she didn't know. Some of us knew this. But, could not tell her because we might be suspended. It was a good reason, and a point for her because we did not like her. We were the bad group because we were always putting her in the bad situation. She was pretty nice in some part of the deeply of her heart.

It was nice time, but yet I was not sure in coming to United States. I wanted to meet new people. One day, my mom called, she asked me quieres venirte para aca donde estoy yo. (would you like to com here USA) I said with a huge enthusiastic claro que si mami. (of course mom) I was not sure, but I said yes, it was the first thing it came to my mine.

Time was still passing and I had to be decide in what my life is was going to be about. I had to decide whether to stay in the little town or to be in the city. Of course I wanted to live in the city but It was sad to live my town where I was born where I spend all my childhood in Puerto Escondido. The next time when my mom asking if I wanted to come where she was living. I said to her I wanted to. My was having this problem, she thought my brother and I wouldn't be able to study. She was saying that people had been told her that it was impossible to have an education. I said to mom that it wasn't really true. But I really didn't have an idea of what she was talking about. I just wanted to go away.

We supposed to be living from Puerto Escondido, after we have done with the school. The problem was, we didn't kn0w who are we coming with. My wanted to come to pick us up. Then come back with her. It was really because I was about to see my mom after 4 and a half years. That was fantastic. It was really exciting. Well, I think something happen and after all, my mom is was not coming. But my dad was coming for us. He wanted to come because he was having more time without see us each other. He wanted to come because he wanted to visit his family and friends. The decision was made. My dad came for us. It was happiness.

We were out of school already. I used to go work with my uncle. I was a waiter. It was pretty cool work with them. Since It was my first job. It was pretty nice to me. The funny thing that I used to ride my bike to work every single morning. It would take to 20 or 30 minutes, depending of how fast I was. Any ways that is another story. Back to where I was. We were out of school , one morning it was strange, because I felt something was happening. I knew that my dad was arriving but I didn't know the exaclty time or the day. I remember It was Saturday morning I wake up. I about to eat, actually I was having my breakfast, breakfast that my grandmother was cooking for us. After all, she was nice with us. I was nice to her. I heard the bird singing but in a peace way that you feel that something was coming to you. You don't even realize of what was happening until you see it. It was tremesdouse cool. I heard a taxi was coming. So a taxi make a stop in front of my front door, strange because usually there no taxis around my area, especially during the breakfast time. I did not put much attention to it. I let it go. I thought it might be my older brother coming from his job. Sooner I heard my mother yelling es tu papa, tu papa esta aqui ( is your dad, your dad is here.) My mine had in white. I didn't thing anything, I just got out of my seat and I run to hug him. I told my brother is dad. come on, let's helping him. He was carrying his luggage and some gifts for us. First thing I heard from him was como estas mijo( how are you son?) I gave a huge hug. But some reason this hug was too weird. I felt that something was missing. I felt that this hug was empty and that the presence of him was strange after 7/ 8 years of not being with him...

It felt strange this day, maybe is because the presence of my dad was missing. I felt that my dad was somebody strange that was visitin us. My dad was strange. I think it was because he was for a long time without us. My dad there to stay for almost a month and then combat with my mom, she was waiting for us in minnesota. We prepared everything to come. I really didn't say bye to my friends because I thouhght it would be like wishing me bad luck. It might sound weird and I was something my mom told me since I was kid. So I think this may influence in this decision of not saying good bye to any of my friends. I do remember that there was one girl from who I said bye to her. She was my best friend and I haven't see her since I left. She wished me good luck. I feeling so because I do want to talk to her so badly. The deal is that I can not have connection with her. I don't have her number. She is not living where she used to. You have pass by several things when it comes to immigrate for x reason.

It was the time to come, we had to leave early before the sunset to take the bus to our destiny. I remember I was saying good bye from my grandmother and my old brother. Everything come very fast but at the same time it was exciting the idea of pretty soon see my mom again. Reason to keep me moving forward.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Your anecdote about the teacher is very interesting. I like that you describe both your own personal academic experience but also your observations of this person who was also your teacher. I am consistently impressed with your ability to observe and consider.